Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fun tip for die cutting felt


One of my challenges I'm hosting at the Scrap Galaxy cyber crop is Felt Frenzy. The challenge is to create your own felt embellishments. While experimenting, I made the following discoveries:

1. Plain old felt doesn't die cut very well. It needs one side to be somewhat stiff. You can:
* buy self adhesive felt
* use Strano Designs Ribbon Stiff (but it will take a lot because the felt will soak it up).
* use another stiffening agent such as {Stiffen Stuff by Beacon}. Spray it on one side of the felt and let dry. Then die cut as you would with paper. This stuff works GREAT on ribbon and fabric too. I bought a bottle at AC Moore about 3 years ago and still have plenty left. I believe it's available at Jo-Anns as well.
* 2 words....packaging tape. Yes! It is wonderful for this technique. Just cover the die cut area with packaging tape (I happened to use clear) then die cut. The packaging tape lends to a much cleaner cut...and it makes it easier to apply the felt because the glue dots or adhesive doesn't get felt remnants all over it. :)

The layout here is simple. Very little embellishments. I simply want to show my felt leaves. I took a black pen to the felt to highlight the center vein of the leaves. Gotta say, I am really enjoying playing with the felt. I would love to see if anyone else is experimenting with felt. It has many possibilites. My challenge was to create a felt embellishment - however you'd like. Stamp on it and cut it out. Cut portions of the design out of several colors and layer parts of the design. Hand stitch the edges of the felt. Highlight parts of the design on the felt with stickles. The sparkle adds a nice touch to the softness of the felt.

Dare ya to try it. And if you do - please come post here and let me know where I can take a peek!

6 comments:

Scrapdragons said...

love this LO!!

Laura

Bluesilver said...

Beautiful layout, Cami! And thanks for the tips.

Zarah said...

Those are great tips - and the LO is wonderful! :D

Rita said...

Thanks for the tips -- love your felt leaves! I haven't even been scrapping lately, but I have always loved felt. I may have to get some and do some experimenting!

Tami said...

hi. i found your site via tallyscrapper.com and i just wanted to share this layout with you, the felt i used expensive so i didn't need to back it with anything, i use felt all the time. but this layout shows it well

http://www.tallyscrapper.com/scrapbook_gallery_view.php?layout_id=4044

Roni said...

Love your ideas, i played with felt last week on a lo and had so much fun i just had to go out and buy more... check it out at tallyscrapper
http://www.tallyscrapper.com/scrapbook_gallery_view.php?layout_id=8554